Saturday, March 20

My Tessie.

We put our dog to sleep yesterday afternoon.  It was one of the toughest decisions I've had to make.  Tessie was a Yellow Lab/Vizsla mix, and was the sweetest dog I've ever known.  I adopted her ten years ago from a run down shelter in San Diego and we were instantly inseparable.  I even brought her to work with me. She was constantly happy.

The past year though, Tessie started developing internal tumors and they quickly spread.  She gained over 20 lbs in tumor weight.  A few weeks ago, the vet told us she had about a month.  We had hoped she'd pass peacefully at home, but the last few days were really rough on her, and while she still attempted to follow me around like a puppy and mustered up plenty of tail wags and smiles for me, I could see she was now in a lot of pain, probably constant. Her insides were shutting down and her muscles giving way. Yesterday I knew it was time, she was ready, just waiting for me to let her go.

She scarfed down a bacon cheeseburger and fries and we soaked up the afternoon sun.  I have memories a mile long of that dog.
I miss you sweet girl. See you again some day.

No comments: