Tuesday, April 6

Salad week success.

(This is in reference to this post a week ago..)

We finished off the last of the orzo salad tonight, and let me just say we were so sad to see it go.  The orzo, with the hummus and tzatziki in the pitas like a pocket sandwich was really, really tasty.  That was our favorite way of eating it!  The orzo and the butternut squash salad earned both the husband and my top picks.  But honestly, every one of these salads were phenomenal.  The spinach bacon salad I think you more have to be in the mood for, but even it too was really good. For some reason I guess I didn't take a pic of that one, but I know Pioneer Woman is a much better photographer than I, so its probably lucky for you I didn't. lol.  My pics don't do them justice.

Monday: Butternut Squash and Chickpea Salad from smitten kitchen.  I only tossed probably 1/3 of the tahini dressing onto the salad initially.  I reserved the rest to drizzle a little over top, and also to do so for the leftovers for lunch the next day. I think I'll make it again this week. yuuuuuummmy!


Tuesday: Asian Noodle Salad from Pioneer Woman Cooks. This recipe made a TON, and I'd say to give yourself closer to an hour if you typically have little kids distractions around while you cook.  This salad requires a lot of chopping, but it's well worth making (and you'll have it around for days anyhow!).  I really think the cashews make the salad, and while Ree calls for them lightly toasted in a skillet, we thought they were better roasted and lightly salted without the toasting.  With the toasting, their flavors mesh really well, but we preferred the nice crunch and contrast as is.  Both husband and I tried to seek out a cashew with every bite!


Wednesday: Black Bean- Couscous Salad; Lavash crackers.  The salad recipe called for quinoa, but we had couscous on hand so I substituted it instead and it worked just fine.  I also mixed the called-for spinach with spring mix we also already had, and crumbled a little sheep feta on top for an added flavor bonus. Cheese makes everything tastier!

Here's a close-up of the lavash.  If you don't have a rolling pin, don't even attempt these, lol.  You need to roll the dough pretty thin to get the right crackery consistency.  Toppings are really versatile.  I made half the batch (not pictured) with a pinch of sea salt, grated Parmesan and garlic, and the other half (pictured) with sea salt, parsley and basil.

Thursday: Warm Bacon Spinach Salad; whole wheat boule bread
 
 (See, Pioneer Woman's pic is much pretty than mine are.)
Whole wheat boule adapted from my favorite bread book that I've raved about many times here. This boule is more like 3/4 whole wheat, rather than 100%.  I ran out of wheat while Gunnar and I were making the dough, so we finished off with unbleached white.

Friday: Greek Orzo Salad; pitas, hummus & tzatziki; Tandoori chicken

Mmm, mmm, mmmm, mmm, mm.
I forgot to take pics of the Tandoori chicken (drumsticks), roasted red pepper hummus, tzatziki and pita's, so next time I make some Ill post pics and my recipes for all.  Husband makes some mean tzatziki, let me tell you.  It'll all be worth the wait. ;)

And there you have it.  Our week of salads. Likely to happen again soon at this house.  Oh, and the husband has already dropped some pounds on his quest for the IPOD. :)

No comments: